Italian Almond & Blood Orange
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds, toasted and cooled
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, separated yolk and egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 packed teaspoon blood orange zest from one blood orange
- 1 1/2 cups sliced blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup Icing sugar, for dusting
- Grind the 1/2 cup toasted almonds in a food processing until the consistency of coarse flour. Add to a medium bowl with flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine and set aside
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar til fluffy - about three minutes. Add the egg yolk, blood orange zest, and vanilla and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until it forms a dough. Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Form each piece in to a one inch wide log, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and adjust over racks to the middle of the oven. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from the fridge and cut the first log into 1/4 inch wide slices.
- Place egg white in a shallow bowl. Fill another bowl with sliced almonds. Dip each cookie into egg white and then into the almonds to coat one side. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes until golden. Remove from heat and transfer to wire rack to cool after 5 minutes. Dust the surface of the cookies with the icing sugar.
- Servings : 36
- Ready in : 105 Minutes
Read more about this chef..